Considering a Career in
School Social Work?


Is your school or agency hiring school social workers or school based mental health professionals?
Please contact to have your free posting appear here! 
A note to job seekers: SSWAM posts links to known available positions but cannot guarantee the availability or accuracy of postings.

Recent Open Positions


Education Needed

Most school social workers across the state possess a Master's of Social Work degree. Positions requiring a LCSW are becoming increasingly more prevalent. A few districts and agencies who contract to provide school based mental health services do hire bachelors level social workers, but not often. In addition, school districts prefer to see social workers who have school based field education/practicum settings. Here is a list of universities that offer BSW and/or MSW degree programs:

Bachelor of Social Work Program ONLY

  • Williams Woods University
  • Lincoln University
  • Lindenwood University
  • Fontbonne University
  • Southeast Missouri State University
  • Evangel University
  • Southwest Baptist University
  • Avila University
  • University of Central Missouri
  • Missouri Western State University

Master of Social Work Program ONLY

  • University of Missouri - Kansas City

BOTH Bachelor and Master Programs

  • University of Missouri - St. Louis
  • University of Missouri
  • Saint Louis University
  • Missouri State University
  • Park University

BOTH Master and Doctoral Programs

  • Washington University

Applying for Positions

School based positions are in high demand, have a high volume of applicants apply, and positions fill fast. Most districts hire between March-May and again in August.  Agencies with school based positions typically hire in the summer and again in January, due to different fiscal years and grant deadlines. If you are going to graduate soon or already have a social work degree and are looking for job postings, you have come to the right place. While SSWAM does its best post all known open positions across the state, we recommend that you also routinely check individual district HR pages and the following websites for additional opportunities:


K12 JobSpot MO

MO Teaching Jobs

Here is a non-exhaustive list of agencies that sometimes employ school-based social workers, therapists, and mental health specialists:

  • BJC Healthcare (St. Louis Metro)
  • Boone County Schools Mental Health Coalition (Central)
  • Burrell Behavioral Health(Southwest)
  • Children's Mercy (Kansas City Metro)
  • Community Counseling Center (Southeast)
  • Compass Health Network/Crider (State Wide)
  • Cornerstones of Care (Kansas City Metro)
  • Great Circle (State Wide)
  • Jewish Children and Family Services (East)
  • Mercy Kids (St. Louis Metro)
  • Lutheran Children and Family Services (East)
  • Peoples Health Centers (St. Louis Metro)
  • Preferred Family Healthcare, Inc (State Wide)
  • St. Louis Counseling (St. Louis Metro)
  • St. Luke's Hospital (Kansas City Metro)
  • Synergy Services (Kansas City Metro)
  • Tri-County Mental Health (Kansas City Metro)

Don't see your agency on the list?
Email to be added.

Copyright 2018

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software